Dr. Gowthaman shares the reasons, symptoms, and treatment for knee pain.
Our ancestors had faced knee-related problems but only after the age of 50. Nowadays, people even before the age of 30-35 are facing knee pain problems. In recent times, knee pain has been occurring at an early stage.
- Wrong lifestyle.
- No Exercises.
- We are not eating nutritious and healthy foods that can keep our bodies healthy.
- Keeping aside milk products from daily routine.
- Pain in legs or knees as soon as you wake up in the morning.
- Pain when you try to get out of bed and your knee is twisted/stiff.
- When you try to walk, check whether you are getting any pain. If you are walking for 30 minutes, check whether you are walking along with pain.
- Check whether you are able to climb the staircase with pain or without knee pain.
- Check whether you are able to stand in the same place for 30 minutes.
- When you are going to bed at night, check whether you have stiffness or pain in the knee.
- During the night, if a knee touches another knee – check whether you are getting any pain.
- Even if you have any one of the symptoms, it indicates that the muscles around your knee have lost strength or the space in the knee is reduced.
The pain that occurs during the morning indicates regeneration (mootugalai odaiya arogam attar thanmai). The stiffness in the knee during the morning indicates some infection/inflammation in the knee. If you have pain only when walking or standing, it means there is some stiffness in the knee. It might appear in the calf muscle as well. This indicates gout (arthritis problem)/rheumatoid problem. It can be the side effects of Chikungunya also.
In Ayurveda, the knee pain problems are categorized into 3 or 4 types,
- First stage – Knee bone depreciation/atrophy (mootu theimanam) problems which is the first stage. This stage causes pain when we are standing for a long time or when we are walking for a long time. After taking enough rest, it will resolve automatically.
- Second stage – Standing also can cause knee pain. Taking a long rest and applying some pain relief cream will resolve this problem.
- Third stage – As soon as you wake up from the bed in the morning, you will have heavy knee pain which will not allow you to do any kind of work. After that, it will reduce slowly and then again the pain arises in the evening. Same happens at night. The pain might occur when knee joints touch each other which produces friction.
- Fourth stage – From morning till night, the pain will be there. You will not be able to stand for a long time. You will not be able to walk for a long time. Even if you walk for 10 meters, you might feel like taking rest because of the pain.
All these four types of knee pain problems can be resolved in the Shree Varma Ayurveda clinic without any surgery.
Reasons For Restrictions In Diet
- Weight gain/Overweight.
- Diabetes will also affect the muscles which leads to knee pain problems.
- Medicines taken for heart disease can also lead to knee pain problems.
- Taking less nutrients/insufficient nutrients leads to knee pain problems.
Medicines given in the Shree Varma clinic are prepared with herbs (mooligai). No pain relief medicines will be given, instead, solution-oriented medicines will be given.
- Whenever knee pain occurs, a medicinal oil massage will be given from hip to leg.
- Herb’s paste will be wrapped in a cloth and given as a massage.
- Gram flour/urad dal paste will be spread across the places where the pain is occurring along with medicinal oil.
- Pouring 3 to 4 litres of medicinal oil from the hip to leg continuously.
- Medicinal herbs, milk with some medicinal things will be mixed with rice and will be cooked like payasam. This will be wrapped in cloth. The medicinal oil will be applied and then the payasam-wrapped cloth will be given as a massage.
These treatments are not only for the knee but also for knee muscles and nerves, and this cannot be done within 1 day. This treatment will be done for 28 days – 60 days. At Shree Varma Ayurveda clinic, we will also give exercises that will enhance the flexibility of your knees. These exercises will provide permanent solutions to your knee pain problems. For example, if this treatment is given to women/men who are 90kg, it’s not necessary to undergo separate weight loss treatments because the exercises provided for knee problems will also reduce your unwanted fat loss.
Most of our patients before coming to Shree Varma Ayurvedic Clinic have consulted an orthopedic doctor. They have also taken MRI, X-ray, and most of the doctors end up saying that they have knee bone depreciation/atrophy (mootu theimanam) and there is no other option other than doing knee transplant surgery.
That’s when they visited the Shree Varma Ayurveda clinic for surgery-less treatment. In our clinic, we will analyse the amount of knee bone depreciation/atrophy (mootu theimanam) in a patient through certain Ayurvedic methods. Only after a proper analysis, will we give them a 3 months or 6 months treatment plan. Sometimes this treatment will consist of some medicines and treatments that can be done externally. Also, some diet charts will be given along with some exercises.
This treatment will differ from person to person based on the intensity of their knee pain problems. For example, if a person with diabetes or heart issues comes up with knee pain problems – we must know what kind of medicines/medication they are undergoing. We will also get to know their capacity/strength of their muscles. Then the amount of knee bone depreciation/atrophy will also be considered. After undergoing all these treatments, the patient can feel the difference within 40 days or 2 weeks.