Dr. Gowthaman shares a brief aspect of Vitiligo and methods to deal with this condition.
Some skin conditions are easily curable while others can be life-changing. Generally, there are two types of skin diseases. One is a functional one that causes rashes, dryness, etc; and the other one is a structural one that causes a change in skin color. Vitiligo is a structural skin condition (leucoderma).
Symptoms Of Vitiligo
- Patchy loss of skin color – usually on the hands, face, and areas around body openings and the genitals.
- Losing natural colour on the skin and the epidermis.
- Weird skin texture mainly occurs under the lips, on the back, behind the arms, under the knees, and in some rare cases on the penises of men.
- People suffering from asthma have higher chances of contracting Vitiligo when they reach the age of 45-50.
- Patients with Vitiligo have a possibly higher incidence of worsening their condition during pregnancy and 6 months after childbirth.
Ayurveda identifies vitiligo using a test called ‘Blue torch test’. Blue light is shown to the patient inside a dark room. This identifies the visible as well as hidden spots in the body.
5 Different Categories Of Vitiligo
- Gout (spreads quickly).
- Bile (found around abdomen, hips and back).
- Mucus (found around lips, face, ears and neck).
- Poison (spreads very slowly).
- Mind (found on legs and hands).
Vitiligo In Women & Children
Women have a higher risk of contracting this disease when compared to men. It also takes a longer time to cure the disease compared to men. Women undergoing hormonal therapy and those who get injected with insulin are at a higher risk of getting this disease. It can also be found in teen girls who attain puberty, women after pregnancy and women with menopause.
‘Sharma Tejas’ is followed to cure vitiligo. This treatment is given on the basis of 5 factors – gout, bile, mucus, poison and a bad mind with appropriate medicines and exercises.
- Herbal powders – extract of various herbs mixed with buttermilk can be applied to the infected area. This pack is kept for 2 hours. This helps reduce the white spots and at the end of 48 days, you will notice the original color of the skin returning in the infected area.
- You can also practice yoga. This cleanses the mind and stimulates a healthy lifestyle which reduces the vitiligo that is caused due to the mind. Along with this, you also are given awareness about a proper diet plan based on the type of disease, age and lifestyle of the patient.
- Medicines such as oils and extracts are given to patients to apply externally on the infected areas.
- Chemical medicines are given to the patients in order to prevent it from recurring.
It is also noted that a lot of people suffering from Vitiligo suffer from anxiety as well. Hence, it is important to have mental therapy attributed to the mind. If anyone finds symptoms of vitiligo in their body or has been undergoing treatment with a different medicine to no avail, they can visit the Shree Varma Ayurvedic clinic with their clinical documents and obtain a permanent cure for their issues.